Thursday, February 10, 2011



·         The inscription on Sultan Quli's tomb is in three bands, in the Naskh and Tauq scripts. The inscription refers to Sultan Quli as Bade Malik (Great Master) - the endearing term by which all people of the Deccan used to refer to him. The tomb was built in 1543 A.D. by the Sultan, during his lifetime itself, as was the prevalent custom.

·         Near the tomb of Sultan Quli is that of his son, Jamsheed, the second in the line of Qutub Shahi Sultans. Built in 1550 A.D., this is the only Qutub Shahi tomb which has not been fashioned from shining black basalt. Its appearance too, is quite unlike the other tombs in the garden - it rises gracefully in two stories, unlike the squat tombs of the other kings. Jamsheed Quli Qutub Shah's is also only tomb of a Qutub Shahi ruler without any inscriptions; of course, Jamsheed's son, Subhan's tomb too does not have any inscriptions. But Subhan Quli Qutub Shah ruled for too short a while to really matter. Subhan's tomb stands mid-way between the tombs of his father and grandfather. He was popularly called Chhote Malik (Small Master).

·         Sultan Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah's tomb, built in 1580, after his death, is slightly larger than Sultan Quli's tomb. Traces of the enamelled tiles, which once adorned this mausoleum, can still be seen on the southern wall.

·         The tomb has two graves in the main chamber and 16 graves on the terrace, some of them probably those of his six sons and three daughters. There are inscriptions in the Thulth script on all faces of the sarcophagus.

·          It is interesting to note that the three famous calligraphists - Isphalan, Ismail and Taqiuddin Muhammad Salih - who left a store of Naskh, Tulth and Nastaliq inscriptions on the many Qutub Shahi edifices in the city, were all contemporaries of Ibrahim Shah.

No comments: