Sunday, March 6, 2011

TIRUPATI,SRI GOVINDARAJASWAMI TEMPLE


  • Sri Govindaraja Swami is considered to be the elder brother of Lord Balaji and His temple is one among the most important temples in Tirupati.

  • Govindaraja Swami temple has an imposing gopuram that can be visible even from a distance. The Lord is found with His consorts Rukmini and Satyabhama.

  •  The architecture of the temple is one of its kinds and is marvellously constructed. The entrance of the temple has a magnificent seven-storey Gopuram built in 1628 that can be seen even from a distance. 



  • To the left of the main Gopuram, is a temple dedicated to Goddess Laxmi who is seated on a lotus. 

  • There is also a shrine dedicated to Vedanta Desika, who was a great poet, devotee and philosopher and second great writer of Sri Vaishnava.

  • One interesting fact about the temple is that the celestial bath (Abhishekam) is not conducted with the presiding deity, as the deity, in the lying position, is made of clay.

  •  Rest all the festivals and functions in the shrine are similar to those conducted in the temple of Sri Venkateshwara at Tirumala.
  • According to the legends, this temple was consecrated by the great Vaishnava Preceptor, Saint Ramanujacharya, in 1130 AD. 

  • It is said that the temple had Sri Parthasaarthi (Lord Krishna as the charioteer of Arjuna) on the main altar but Sri Ramanujacharya added the deity of Sri Govindaraja Swami.
                                       
                                 

No comments: